Roku

Are you a TV/Movie lover? Then this is the forum for you.

Moderator: Super Moderator

Andvari300
Site Admin

Roku

Post by Andvari300 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:12 pm

So does anybody here still do cable or satellite tv? Been I singing a Roku 2 for almost six months now and I really like it. Didn't have to pay for it since it came free with ordering Sling TV. Been using it for Hulu, Netflix. TLC, CBS, and a FX app.
"Koolzone isn't some domain you can buy, its not a name, it's not a specific board software, its that special little place in our hearts, its the joy you felt when you were a kid on christmas and you woke up to go find presents under the tree. Its your first kiss, your lost virginity, its the love an abusive step father has for his son he never wanted because he really just wanted to get in the mom's pants but the kid was part of the packaged deal. Its the twinkling of a star as you look up into the night sky and realize how big the universe is. KZ isn't just some website or name. It's a little piece of magic in all of us. :) " -Omni

deplorable

Re: Roku

Post by deplorable » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:55 pm

I just use netflix/hulu/amazon on my ps4.

grim1500

Post by grim1500 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 am

Technically, yes, but we don't pay for it. We use Kaylie's dad's DirecTV login for HBO for Game of Thrones, AMC for The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul, and to watch football games. That's it, though. The rest of the year, we use our Netflix account and have a Chromecast. I download any movies we want to see. We have Amazon Prime, but we haven't watched any of their shows yet. It's aggravating that they refuse to support Chromecast (purely so people will buy their stupid Fire TV thing), so if/when we ever do, we'll play it on a laptop and connect to the TV through HDMI.
Sup.

Sensor Echo

Post by Sensor Echo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:30 pm

Yeah, fuck Amazon hardware. Inexpensive, sure, because it's cheap, and to lure you into their closed system. Not worth it though, other options are superior.

I watch TV. There are about a half dozen channels I watch regularly, numbers 1 and 3 of which air shows which are predominantly available online (legally free) the rest would be illegally watched if at all. I'd probably just not watch anything if it weren't for TV.

I have streamed some things through Amazon. The quality is anything but. Splotchy lack of definition and colour tone, just like TV anymore. I don't know what codec they switched to, but I know it was to save bandwidth because that information is just compressed and condensed out. They even cut it down to 15fps. I mean...WTF? Cartoons look like animation has just been invented and the idea of tweening between two distinct frames is yet to be realized. I suppose that's what it comes down to - many TVs now tween for a pseudo-high framerate and maybe they're counting on that? Nothing can help with the colour loss though.

Andvari300
Site Admin

Post by Andvari300 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:30 pm

We use my wife's parents info to log into an FX app mostly for me bacause I watch American Horror Story and The Americans. Only other show I watched on there was that people vs oj which I watched with my wife. Think the TLC app also uses her parents info.
"Koolzone isn't some domain you can buy, its not a name, it's not a specific board software, its that special little place in our hearts, its the joy you felt when you were a kid on christmas and you woke up to go find presents under the tree. Its your first kiss, your lost virginity, its the love an abusive step father has for his son he never wanted because he really just wanted to get in the mom's pants but the kid was part of the packaged deal. Its the twinkling of a star as you look up into the night sky and realize how big the universe is. KZ isn't just some website or name. It's a little piece of magic in all of us. :) " -Omni