The Death of Xbox 360

Discuss anything about gaming here. Console, PC Games, Online, ect.

Moderator: Super Moderator

Sensor Echo

The Death of Xbox 360

Post by Sensor Echo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Why you announce this on a stoner holiday, I do not know. But MS has stopped production of the Xbox 360.
Last November, we celebrated a major milestone, as the Xbox 360 console turned 10 years old.

with over 78 billion gaming hours played, nearly 486 billion Gamerscore on 27 billion achievements and over 25 billion hours spent in apps over its lifetime.

Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while we’ve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country.

Xbox 360 owners will continue to receive Xbox Live services for their console, such as online multiplayer gaming and parties, access to the apps they use today, and Games with Gold and Deals with Gold.

Xbox Live servers that support Xbox 360 services will also remain online and active. Our Xbox 360 fans can continue to play their favorite games with the full support of Xbox Live.

Gamers will also be able to continue to buy over 4,000 Xbox 360 games or Xbox 360 accessories at retail and through our Xbox 360 store online, while supplies last.
Any Xbox 360 hardware will still be supported at xbox.com/support.

And Xbox One owners will be able to continue to enjoy available Xbox 360 games through Xbox One Backward Compatibility – at no additional cost.

Over the next few weeks and months, we’ll be sharing more of our plans for gaming on Xbox One, Windows 10 and beyond.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/04/20/xbox-36 ... -10-years/
Goodnight sweet prince.

Andvari300
Site Admin

Re: The Death of Xbox 360

Post by Andvari300 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Well that's a bummer for anybody who enjoys the 360 but can Xbox One really play every 360 game? If so I get what they're doing.
"Koolzone isn't some domain you can buy, its not a name, it's not a specific board software, its that special little place in our hearts, its the joy you felt when you were a kid on christmas and you woke up to go find presents under the tree. Its your first kiss, your lost virginity, its the love an abusive step father has for his son he never wanted because he really just wanted to get in the mom's pants but the kid was part of the packaged deal. Its the twinkling of a star as you look up into the night sky and realize how big the universe is. KZ isn't just some website or name. It's a little piece of magic in all of us. :) " -Omni

Sensor Echo

Post by Sensor Echo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Andvari300 wrote:but can Xbox One really play every 360 game?
Hell no. They're working on 1,800+ distinct games and ignoring about 200 Kinect games. (With another ~2,000 different language versions of those same games.) Currently about 150 360 games work on One. And they mostly work really well! Some games run a little better some a little worse but most about the same. They've been adding a few each week for a couple months solid. Really exciting after a slow January and February.

They're probably pulling it off of production because
  • 1. the cost is about the same as an Xbox One both for MS and consumers
  • 2. there are not (m)any games coming out for it
  • 3. the 360 still being produced at all after the advent of the Xbox One is the first time MS has ever produced more than one Xbox platform at once, so paying for two lines of production is an unwelcome expense (and they're probably about to start producing the Xbox One Slim).
PS3 probably won't see the end of the Summer; it's even more expensive to produce. Its only saving grace is that they need that hardware to run PS Now servers.

Total sales for x360 ended shy of 90m, and just behind PS3. 360 was the second highest selling console ever in the U.S. just edging out the Wii and nearing in on PS2.

Edit: I have 43 360 games installed on my Xbox One right now, with three more to go as soon as I'm done playing online for the night (to save bandwidth, Doom 1-3), and 19 that I've not chosen to install, and for the curious 51 Xbox One games installed (not including demos or betas). It is a hassle to navigate.

The Watcher

Post by The Watcher » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:29 pm

i thought the list of bc games would have been bigger. Oh well. Still bigger than PS4's -_-' neither console is drowning me in must play games. I have more games in my backlog for PS3 and 360 than games I have/want for these new consoles. I just looked up One exclusives and a whopping 4 games caught my interest. BC with all my 360 titles would help me consider a purchase down the road, provided the exclusives grow.

Always like this though, takes a long time for consoles to hit their stride.

Sensor Echo

Post by Sensor Echo » Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 pm

They're really kicking BC games out now.

Games Added on Date
5/5
Dig Dug
Phantasy Star II
Runner 2
Samurai Showdown II
Sonic & Knuckles

5/4
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

5/3
Jet Set Radio
MX vs ATV Reflex
Texas Hold 'em

4/28
Frogger
Galaga Legions DX

4/26
Altered Beast
Comix Zone
Double Dragon Neon
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
The Cave

4/21
Rayman Origins

4/14
DOOM 3 BFG Edition (only available on disc)
Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine

4/12
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Sonic the Fighters

4/6
Gunstar Heroes
Outland

3/30
Dead Space

3/29
Left 4 Dead 2

3/28
Halo Wars
Soul Calibur II HD
The King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match

3/23
Dark Souls
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

3/21
Assassin’s Creed
Dark Void
GRID 2

3/17
Alan Wake
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
PAC-MAN

3/13
Saints Row IV

14 games added in March,
15 games added in April,
39 in two months, not bad. And I'll remind you, unlike Nintendo and Sony adding old games for download on a new console, these are free if you already own it.