What are you playing?

Discuss anything about gaming here. Console, PC Games, Online, ect.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Sensor Echo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

This week I've played a couple games on handheld, Gunman Clive and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Gunman Clive is $2 (the sequel is $3) so you might not expect anything of it, but it's actually quite wonderful. It's very simple and rather short, and that's fine. It's a Megaman style platformer so you can walk around and jump, but you can only shoot straight forward. The visuals are hand drawn outlines with a bit of water colour and the music is high energy electronic rock so it all fits together rather oddly, but it just works.

Shantae is a bunch of masturbatory fanservice wank. Those last three words each mean about the same thing, but that redundancy is properly descriptive. It's not much in the way of a platformer, and it tries to be a good mix of Metroid and Castlevania, and while there's some solid bones, it's fleshed out with WAY too much backtracking, a tonne of stupid fetch quests which are mostly nonsensical, it's pretty heavy on story without actually having much of a story, but the bit around the final boss was pretty fun and there's a few good bits of music. There are plenty of health upgrades (Zelda style heart containers) and I eschewed those for a more difficult experience, and I cannot say it was well balanced - it never seemed like enemies were difficult, just strong with lots of health. The platforming was sort of a background fill piece as it wasn't anything but simple until the run up to the final boss. I imagine a lot of kids having no trouble the entire way through and then quitting before the final boss because of the rise in difficulty. It was finally interesting though. The final boss, as with all prior, was disappointing. The one difficulty it presented was that each of the final boss's attacks were 8 hit points, and if you don't upgrade your health, you only have 8 health points so any one hit would be an instant fail. I completed it because I had heard much praise for it, and...just no.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Xcom2's technical issues got annoying. Tons of slowdown, long load times and it would freeze for as much as 20 secobds at a time. Didn't finish.

Just started up the Crash Bandicoot Nsane Trilogy. Starting with the first game which I remember well gets very difficuot, but when I got a ps1 back in the day I got 3 games with it and this was one of them. Jet Moto and Tekken 2? were the others. I remember 2 and 3 being a lot more fun so nostalgia aside I got this collection more for those. Much improved graphics, totally redone. Not 100% on the controls/physics though and the hit detection seems less forgiving
The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:06 am

Didn't even get as far through Crash 1 as I expected, started Crash 2 and the collision detection, physics and control issues aren't as apparent, if at all.

Autosave has been added, sweet. Crash 1 was brutal in regards to saving progress. Old school as fuck. 2 and 3 had/have hubs you can save manually at before/after every level. Autoave is welcone there too though and manual save is still available.
The Watcher

Postby Divergent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

NHL 18

Started testing out Franchise Mode, which is the current incarnation of GM Mode, with the Red Wings. Then moved on to using a new feature- NHL Expansion.

NHL Expansion: You have the option of taking control of any team beginning with the NHL Expansion Draft. There are two options, the first is 31 team expansion, which means you can either take Vegas and make selections, or take any other team and submit your list of protected players and then go on to the NHL Entry Draft continuing forward. The second is 32 team expansion, where you can create a brand new team (as well as their AHL affiliate), then it works the same way as previously described except there are two teams you can choose from to make expansion picks (Vegas and your newly created team) or you can select anyone else and submit your protected list.

I created the Regina Wolves and the Saskatoon Bison as the affiliate. The Central Division in the Western Conference is the default division which worked out fine based on where Regina is geographically, but you can swap with a team in another division, which was part of an update I think because the YouTubers that were doing videos early on weren't able to modify the division. The team creation feature is vastly improved from previous games. Arenas are actually NHL size without having to use another teams arena,the commentary is better, and the detailed options for jersey/uniform creation are great. ECHL logos are available so, if you were so inclined, you could take your favorite ECHL team and pretend they were able to advance to the AHL or NHL. This might be the most improved part of the game- a lot of attention was paid to the new NHL Expansion options.

Owner Goals/Expectations: I actually switched this off after testing with the Red Wings. The main reason for this is because, unlike the AI for every other aspect of the game, there doesn't seem to be analytical AI for the Owner Goals- e.g. I added two 1st Rd Draft Picks during the NHL Entry Draft, and despite this, the top Owner Goal was to trade a player for a 1st Rd Pick once the regular season started (as if we needed one additional to our original). Added to that is the necessity of managing arena maintenance and the prices of everything at the team store and concessions stands. I didn't mind the arena management, but managing prices was just ridiculous. I don't think NHL GMs give a damn about the price of popcorn or how much a team jersey costs in the team store.

Player Morale: I kept this feature on because it is kind of interesting. Basically, players can feel better or worse (which affects their stats) based on things such as their relationships with the other players, their ice time, their personal performance, and being named a captain or alternate/being stripped of the 'C' or 'A'. There is a Team Chemistry percentage that is generated from the collective totals as well. This adds another element to managing a roster overall that wasn't as well rounded out in previous NHL games.

This feature can be downright entertaining too. When I was testing with the Red Wings, I set out to move bad contracts right away- Franzen (who is not on indefinite IR in the video game), Kronwall, Abdelkader, Helm, and Ericsoon (Sheahan had been selected by Vegas during the NHL Expansion Draft- all of these guys I left unprotected). When I traded Ericsson, other players morale went down- Zetterberg, Kronwall, etc. The morale of the young guns went up- Larkin, Athanasiou (whom I could actually sign now), Outllet, etc. As I moved each overpriced veteran that kept happening, until, finally, Zetterberg was the only douche left (I say this beause of the multiple reports of how Zetterberg helped engineer the bad deals for Ericsson and Kronwall in RL). The cherry on top was stripping Zetterberg of the 'C' and putting it on Larkin... right before dealing Zetterber to Winnipeg for their 2018 1st Rd Pick!

Assistant Coach Edits Lines: At first I though this was fantastic because the substitutions for injuries would be automatically handled. The issue I discovered is the Assistant Coach will strip and rename captains and alternates based on individual performance from week to week, which is totally unrealistic and had the player morale all over the place. Obviously that was an oversight, but fortunately goalie rotation is a completely separate option so your starting netminder won't be overplayed to catastrophic injury without you manually swapping in the backup semi-regularly.

Gameplay: Hasn't changed much, but you do have the option to set your scheme from the stickhandling right analog stick to classic 16-bit era controls. I usually stick with the stickhandling one. There are little messages above the player when things happen (your mistake on a faceoff or when a shot is blocked, etc.). I like it for faceoffs but not for other things... like I don't know when my shot was blocked? Lol.
[face_Pre] Good things come to those who work their asses off and never give up
Divergent

Postby grim1500 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 pm

I just finished Layers of Fear. It was pretty fun. Not much thought required. The story, whatever story you actually get, was interesting. There are three endings, though, and I definitely don't have it in me to play two more times.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby The Watcher » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Though I have no interest in hockey I still read and appreiate your detailed and passionate reviews pre. Bit about players emotions playing a role was particulalry intersesting as psychology is at the least a passing interest of mine.

love all you ofher fags too, just saying
The Watcher

Postby grim1500 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Love you too.

Also, I started playing Thief. It was a free game a good while back. I've only played the first 30 minutes or so, but I think I'll really enjoy it. I get a Dishonored vibe from it, though it seems like maybe they want you to try to kill less and sneak more. In Dishonored I gave up trying to be sneaky.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby Divergent » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 pm

The Watcher wrote:Though I have no interest in hockey I still read and appreiate your detailed and passionate reviews pre. Bit about players emotions playing a role was particulalry intersesting as psychology is at the least a passing interest of mine.

It's definitely an interesting piece of functionality. I've had two defensemen, two different franchise modes, that have consistently lost morale due to "individual performance" even though the team was winning. I tried changing the defense pairing and even scratching them for a few games. After sending them down to the AHL for conditioning stints they were still very unhappy for the same reason and their overalls had dipped to the low seventies. Had to trade the poor saps while hoping they can resurrect their careers elsewhere, lol.

Definitely haven't figured out all of the nuances for the morale system.
Divergent

Postby Sensor Echo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Cuphead! So good. This game is hard as nails and I love it. 874 deaths to beat it, all worth it. The gameplay is top notch, so is the music, and the visuals also.

Sensor Echo

Postby Divergent » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:19 am

Cuphead is very popular. I watched a thing on it the other day where they talked about the animation being storyboard with the dynamic overlay just like the old time cartoons.
Divergent

Postby Sensor Echo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm

I don't buy games at launch, but Cuphead was too good to wait. I had concerns, so I watched a friend stream some and was sold on it. Worked out well because I ended up getting a $10 off coupon for Amazon and got it half price on day 2.

I appreciate your hockey write up, but I'm just dead to it. I played a little '15 or whichever the first Xbox One/PS4 version was, and just was not feeling it at all. I'm sure the stick handling is useful after you spend a lot of time learning it, but it didn't help me have fun. The old school mode you mention is probably more up my alley, at least to start. But after however many hundreds of matches in each of NHL '95 and '01, eh.

Rocket League actually ends up scratching that hockey itch pretty well. I spend all my solo time in snow day which replaces the bouncy soccar (sic) ball with a puck, and changes the game from slow, methodical, thoughtful passes to a raging inferno of speed and hard hits. You still need to plan ahead and work as a team but you don't have time to dawdle. And at 3v3 with arenas sized to fit it's just so on it. It's that great arcade speed and excitement. It takes a while to learn the pro mechanics to do some really crazy stuff, but anyone can hop in and give it a go.

And in other news, HYPE!! FUCKING HYPE! I've never had a console when it was launched. I got my 3DS and OG Xbox in the "launch period", but they had been out for six months and six weeks respectively. And realistically there's not much reason to hop on day one for anything, but I'm in on this Xbox One X. No, there's no games I can play on it but not on my other Xbox One. No, I don't have a 4k screen to get the most out of it. Yes, it's very expensive. BUT, who the fuck cares, Taco Bell was giving the things away for free and I got one! [face_Chris] It's already here, and while 4k updates are still dropping (and I'll be downloading things literally into December with my speed), it is nice.
Sensor Echo

Postby grim1500 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

....you won from Taco Bell? That's so awesome. I saw they were giving them away, but figured not very many. I had told Kaylie earlier in the year that I was going to get the One X for sure and that's just how it was going to be, but now months later, I decided I'd just save the money because I don't have a 4k TV to take advantage of the new console and I don't want to spend the money with us this close to having our 20% house down payment (hopefully start building next month or beginning of January).

My day one edition Xbox One is still going just fine anyway.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby Sensor Echo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Yeah, I've been trying to win from Taco Bell/Mountain Dew/Comedy Central/etc. for a decade and a half and it's finally worked. I wasn't even trying to win at the time, I had realized I hadn't entered for the day and just threw the code in just so I didn't miss the day. Absolutely dumbstruck.

It's really quite nice. The games that aren't updated for it run great and look better, and the ones that are updated look even better than that. Fast and smooth, it's great.
Sensor Echo

Postby Divergent » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

That's awesome!

Do you have a 4K TV?

I could see myself getting one if my Xbox One S stops working... maybe. Then I'd be pining for a 4K TV though and I'd be crazy enough to go for that too. Might be a bad idea, lol.
Divergent

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Nope, no 4k for me, and it still looks noticeably better. Not enough to suggest others buy it if they only have 1080p, but I wouldn't stop them either. :p
Sensor Echo

Postby grim1500 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 am

After we get this house built and I won't feel bad for taking away from our house money, I may get one. I also want to replace my desktop with a new laptop, but one that I would want is pretty expensive. I almost bought one yesterday, but again, with the house, I couldn't do it.

Enjoy the Xbox. That's awesome.

Edit: Oh, and I finished Thief. It was a good game, especially for free. Now I'm playing The Deer God. It's ok, I guess.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby The Watcher » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 am

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

1000+ years ago, northern european type setting. Woman returns from the woods where she was trying to deal with hearing voices and losing her mind to find her village slaughtered. Goes on a quest for vengeance, carrying aroubd her husbands head. Still hearing voices and going batshit.

[YouTube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWigiK4NTs[/YouTube]
The Watcher

Postby The Watcher » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Finally tried Star Trek Online on PS4. Totally free and pretty fun. Don’t feel pressured into buying extras, nor punished for not doing so. Makes me want to buy some stuff just to support that model, haven’t done so yet though.
The Watcher

Postby grim1500 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

I finished (finally) CoD WWII a month or so ago. We finally have my office setup at the new house, so I've been able to game again. I started Assassin's Creed Origins. I love these games so much.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby xZeroSleep » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 am

Been pounding out WoW here recently with the new expansion.
"BEGIN WHILE OTHERS ARE PROCRASTINATING. WORK WHILE OTHERS ARE WISHING." - WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD

\\
       /  )
⊂\_/ ̄ ̄ ̄  /
 \_/ ° ͜ʖ ° (
   )    /⌒\
  /  ___/⌒\⊃
 (  /
  \\
xZeroSleep

Postby Divergent » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:55 pm

I was playing Fallout 4 quite a bit before things got busy. Actually going through the Minutemen storyline and building settlements.
Divergent

Postby grim1500 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 pm

xZeroSleep wrote:Been pounding out WoW here recently with the new expansion.

I really miss WoW. I haven't played in years, but I always had so much fun. I can't play, though, because I know how I was with it; I get sucked in (I have to get my $15/month worth, right?) and end up not spending time with my wife.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby xZeroSleep » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 am

grim1500 wrote:
xZeroSleep wrote:Been pounding out WoW here recently with the new expansion.

I really miss WoW. I haven't played in years, but I always had so much fun. I can't play, though, because I know how I was with it; I get sucked in (I have to get my $15/month worth, right?) and end up not spending time with my wife.

All about that willpower. I got a wife, kid, full time IT job, after hours IT consultant job for a doc office, and I'm going to school. I miss being able to play like I did when I was 19, waking up in the morning and playing through the night with all my buddies. I just had to put myself in the mindset that I'm not gonna be that top tier raider anymore.

It's a lot of fun, I've took a few breaks but I've pretty much been playing since BC. Even though I'm never gonna be that god-like, fully decked out dwarf warrior sitting in SW that you inspect and poop your pants over, I still find joy in the game. All my friends still play and it's fun getting on and doing what we can with the time we have.
"BEGIN WHILE OTHERS ARE PROCRASTINATING. WORK WHILE OTHERS ARE WISHING." - WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD

\\
       /  )
⊂\_/ ̄ ̄ ̄  /
 \_/ ° ͜ʖ ° (
   )    /⌒\
  /  ___/⌒\⊃
 (  /
  \\
xZeroSleep

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

I think I'm down to only one friend who wants me to play Fortnite now, which is pretty great. I fucking tired of that game the first week I played it, but sometimes you hang out at a bar you don't like just because it's where your friends are, right? :P lol

I'm still hooked on Rocket League, great game. And I still haven't spent a cent on its In App Purchases. :) Whereas the friends I play with have spent $100+ each. Is it really willpower? Or do I just not care for digital cosmetics? Based on the length of my play time, it is surely not willpower.

I really haven't played much of anything this month. A little RL here and there, but I have picked up the newest Doom. It is somewhat more basic than I had expected, even though I expected a fairly simple run&gun FPS. I'm not playing on as hard a difficulty as I should (first time playing any Doom) but I was told this is the Game of the Year 2016 with fantastic music and "holy shit, yes!" and I'm not getting it. The guns are fun, I can certainly see it being better if it were harder, but you have to upgrade everything so movement is crap even though the fun of the game is supposed to be moving and shooting. Worse, the music only kicks in when it's a heavy fight and it's then drowned out by the guns, explosions, monsters, and fact that you're paying attention to the action and don't have time to just sit back and listen to some music (as I have often in Halo). Also it's an UGLY game in terms of aesthetics. It's very pretty in execution, but it still looks like shit. And I think they just like being dicks to people with photosensitivity. The game is not easy on the eyes.

I keep playing it, but I'm not by any means driven to press the Continue button after completing a level, always go for Save & Quit instead. :\
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 am

Demo for True Fear, a macabre puzzle/adventure style game convinced me to buy. Part of a planned series that hasn’t continued, oh well.

Inside demo interested me enough to consider buying, good timing as it was on sale half off. Liked Limbo but rhis was much better.

Then sunk 42 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda. $10 well spent.

Now playing The Last Guardian
The Watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming