What are you playing?

Discuss anything about gaming here. Console, PC Games, Online, ect.

What are you playing?

Postby grim1500 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:14 am

Until we get to go back to the regular KZ, I figured we needed this thread here, especially since I've been able to play games during my break from classes.

Summer classes start on June 4, so I've been trying to get in as much game time as I can before I inevitably lose free time to homework and class.

I finished the Crysis 3 campaign. The multiplayer is so much fun, but almost no one plays it. Seriously, their most populated playlist is doing good to have 200 people, while all the other playlists have between 0 and 30 people.

I finished the second DLC for Borderlands 2, and I started on the third DLC yesterday. I also spent a day getting a few Borderlands 2 achievements. This game is also a ton of fun.

I spent some time one day getting the few Minecraft on Xbox achievements I didn't have. This is the first time I've ever gotten all of the achievements for a game (there are only 20 achievements and they're mostly pretty easy). Usually games have an achievement where you have to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, and I don't have the patience for that. As much as I'd like to play the Halo games on legendary and see the legendary ending, I just can't make myself do it, not even for the achievement, when I know I can watch the different endings on YouTube.

Other than that, I've done the usual Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 multiplayer sessions. I spent most of tonight playing Halo 4 multiplayer, and I forgot how much fun it was. I usually only play SWAT because slayer frustrates me, but I played 3 or 4 slayer matches, and I went positive in all of them. My typical slayer experience is I put 4 shots in the enemy's head, and someone runs up behind me and hits me once and I die. In SWAT, it's one headshot and their dead.
Sup.

grim1500

Re: What are you playing? (Temporary hopefully)

Postby The Watcher » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 am

Just finished up the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion. Saw it while browsing the playstation store and noticed they had finally dropped the price to $10 from $30. Took me about 20 hours to play through. It was pretty good. Interesting to revisit this game again through the expansion, familiar and fresh at the same time. It had been years.

Not sure what i'll start next, quite a few choices...
The Watcher

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Been playing Hexic HD (XBLA). I don't even know when I got this game, I think it was free on the harddrive or included with one of the firmware updates, because I definitely didn't buy it. It's just one of those puzzle games with the jewels you have to group together. Surrounding one piece with six of the same colour makes a flower. Getting a flower of flowers made from flowers beats the game, and I want to badly, but I can only make two second level flowers and then it fucks me every damn time.

I posted this on the dead boards, but I played through Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (XBLA), and it was a pretty fun platformer. Not a normal Tomb Raider game (well it doesn't claim to be, does it?), but that's fine. It's rather reminiscent of all the silly 3D platformers from the mid-late 90s, but well refined. Not great, but worth the play through (I got it for free on an accidental sale), just far too easy. I changed the difficulty to hard after about five minutes and after another five tried to make it harder yet to no avail.

Grim, since you mention it, the only game I've 100% achievemented is Halo Anniversary, which I had to do a bit of bothering to complete, and only did because I like the game so much and wanted people to see (if they look) that it's the only one I've done. Games I enjoy are usually ~75% complete, so you can see which I really like.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I've played Lara Croft and The Guardian Of Light also. On ps3 though, so no co-op with prap :(

You better let me know if/when you start Forza Horizon or Gears of War Judgement so i can get them. And renew my gold subscription which i let expire.
The Watcher

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Wow, it's already been a year. And you still haven't bested my gamerscore, hah! I've still got you by nearly a game. ;) Aaron has a similar lead on me. Mono and lily may not actually play their Xboxes.

Still no GoW:J or Forza Horizon, but MS is giving away a free map for Judgement this weekend. Can't hurt.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Sat May 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Been playing ps3 too though, and some xbox and indie games. I'll get there :mrgreen:

I've got you beat in trophies by a LOT ;)
The Watcher

Postby grim1500 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Paul, we need to have a Halo achievement day and try to bang out some achievements. Do you know if there are some you can only get in co-op? And I think there are some spartan ops achievements. I haven't done all of spartan ops and even less on co-op, so we could do that. I played a lot of Halo 4 earlier today. I forgot how much fun it is, but still frustrating.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby Sensor Echo » Sun May 19, 2013 12:19 pm

There are some co-op cheevos, but I don't remember all what they are. The only ones which cannot be done in co-op specify solo only. ODST has one that I grinded with some randoms for a couple of hours once, and after about 30 minutes I fucked it up and made us restart (tried to pick up a weapon and it threw me into a warthog when the cheevo is finish the level w/o entering a vehicle. I was dumbfounded, and I still don't understand why they can't fix the goddamn system to pick up the object listed onscreen. What were we talking about?

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. I can't really lead us through any of the Spartan Ops stuff though, I've played about 9 chapters of the 50. All the levels are the campaign (so far) though, so it's easy enough. Totally not an ODST setup, more like Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels rehash, w/o the wind and with Luigi.

Edit: Just making a list:
Halo Anniversary:
Standard Operating Brocedure 10 - Complete any level on Normal difficulty cooperatively.
Brovershield 20 - Complete any level on Heroic difficulty cooperatively.
Bro Hammer 50 - Complete any level on Legendary difficulty cooperatively.

Halo 2:
None, even if we had the PC version.

Halo 3:
Vidmaster Challenge: Annual 0 - After 9/25/08, complete Halo on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and everyone in Ghosts.

Halo 3: ODST:
Vidmaster Challenge: Déjà Vu 25 - Complete Highway on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and no 'Hog or Scorpion.
Vidmaster Challenge: Endure 25 - In Firefight, on any mission, pass the 4th Set on 4-player Heroic LIVE co-op.

Halo 4:
Bromageddon 40 - Completed the Campaign cooperatively on Heroic or harder.

So actually not much in way of co-op achievements. The hard things are the multiplayer ones (just try getting the right map, much less game-type). There are also plenty of ancillary achievements to work on while getting the co-op ones (especially for 4 since you have to finish the whole game). Maybe have a look through and see what else we can knock out at the same time.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Sun May 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Started Resident Evil 4 HD. A slightly prettier version of one of my favorite games - with trophies. The second control scheme is more similiar to what's expected from modern third person shooters, though ot lacks the ability to move while shooting. Takes some getting used to now. At the time this game was revolutionary and essentially changed third person shooters. Despite lacking some later refinements and advancements to the genre that have become standard its still an excellent game. And its already 8 years old 0_o
The Watcher

Postby R.A.J » Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 am

Been playing Disgaea 3 on my Vita, and also Knytt Underground on my PS3/Vita
R.A.J

Postby grim1500 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Sorry I haven't hit you up, Paul. I've been trying to 100% Borderlands 2. Only 6 achievements to go, but I'm gonna need help on all but 2 of those, so it's gonna be awhile.

If we could do the whole campaign co-op on legendary, I'd unlock I Need a Hero, The Legend of 117, and Bropocalypse in the process. There are a few mission specific achievements we could do also.

I've done very little of the spartan ops but I've done a few of the chapters co-op on legendary and they weren't hard, so A Legendary Episode shouldn't be hard.

That's about all we could do together. There were a couple solo only achievements. I probably won't even try to do the campaign solo on legendary.

Just invite me if you see I'm on, and if I'm not busy with someone else, I'm down to start on the legendary campaign if you want. As awful as it's gonna be...
Sup.

grim1500

Postby Sensor Echo » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Not so bad really, even on solo. They fucked with the AI, and Legendary isn't far off from Heroic any more. Elites and Knights just fucking stand there while you let your shields recharge instead of one-shotting you. Only the suicide grunts ever get grenades near you. It's by far the easiest Halo game for Legendary, almost the complete opposite of 2's Legendary.
Sensor Echo

Postby Andvari300 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Downloaded Xenogears from PSN and playing that. My first run that I can remember without a gameshark LOL.
"Koolzone isn't some domain you can buy, its not a name, it's not a specific board software, its that special little place in our hearts, its the joy you felt when you were a kid on christmas and you woke up to go find presents under the tree. Its your first kiss, your lost virginity, its the love an abusive step father has for his son he never wanted because he really just wanted to get in the mom's pants but the kid was part of the packaged deal. Its the twinkling of a star as you look up into the night sky and realize how big the universe is. KZ isn't just some website or name. It's a little piece of magic in all of us. :) " -Omni
Andvari300

Postby grim1500 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:31 am

Yeah, my buddy actually hit me up harassing me to play Halo 4 legendary on co-op. We beat it in just a few hours that night you joined our party, and we got several achievements. Once you beat the campaign once, it turns out that you can just skip to the last rally point for each mission and play from there and get credit for beating each mission on legendary, so it takes way less time to do the campaign. Easy mode legendary achievements.
Sup.

grim1500

Schadenfreude alert

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm

As someone who's recently been on an achievement binge, you should enjoy this story:

I was playing a game with a couple of co-op achievements, so I went into co-op mode with two controllers. Both characters have a special ability, and an achievement thereto related. I did controller 1's and it popped on controller 2's account. I did controller 2's and it popped on both accounts. I backed out, reloaded the level, tried again and still wouldn't pop. So I had the achievement on my guest account, not my real one. I restarted the game and it let it pop after the third attempt, but pretty dumb.

On a similar note, I checked my Club Nintendo account and all my coins were gone (no free gift, and no chosen gifts). Some cookie or session error I can't fix.

=======================

Heading back to Alan Wake now. I watched a play through online to catch up on what I've already done w/o having to re-play from the start (which I normally would, but the story >>>> gameplay). FOUR HOURS to get to the third episode. And the player knew where things were. Slow.

I've finally burnt out on Halo 4, might even shift back to 3 or Reach after a while.

I've played through Crash Course and CC2 pretty well, and they're good platforming race games, but the second has a lot of good improvements that make the first seem kind of bad in retrospect. Doritos also had another free game, Harm's Way, which is pretty neat. It's an old school style arcade racer with stationary turrets along the track trying to take out the drivers. You can choose driver/shooter, and after a car blows up it's respawned with a bit of temporary invincibility. Shooters have to move around the track to different turrets to have a shot, can't take a turret in use, but with a line of sight can shoot the enemy out of the turret and take it over. It's like 4 years old now though, and I couldn't actually get a game started, even though matchmaking found other players. It has bots though, and they do well.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Finally :p i was considering an intervention.

Where are you getting these free games?

Alright, found them. How did you? Crash Course 2 doesn't have the option to download at all. So how do i play it? Unless it requires Gold, which i let lapse.
The Watcher

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Huh...I guess it could be the Gold restriction, but I would not have even thought of that. CC2 is online required, at least for me, I've read a few posts online of people saying they were playing offline but it won't even let me start if I'm not online. So that one's probably not an option for you. Harm's Way and Crash Course 1 are offline though. They're really pretty good for free games from a bag of chips. :p Better than a lot of games with bigger names licensed.

I tried about a half of an hour of Undertow, another game I got for free on XBL (freebie years ago), about the same length I made it through the first time, and I just don't groove on it. It's a twin stick shooter (one for move, one for aim) and just so simple and kind of meh. It's got story campaign and you have to hold points on the map to win, but your buddies suck, and the combat just isn't terribly interesting.
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Yup, Crash Course 2 requires Gold. Just renewed to find out. Been meaning to anyway. But damn it prap, we need to play some online once in awhile or i just wasted $50. You too Grim and Lily ):|
The Watcher

Postby Sensor Echo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Well that escalated quickly.

Edit: He took his hip flask out when he got to the page describing how he got to the page describing how he took out his hip flask. It wasn't just the booze that made his head spin.

Lamest appearance of a helicopter in an action/adventure game. Ever.

I'm not complaining, but what the hell is David Bowie doing as the end credit song? Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do. *shrug*

Nightmare mode isn't much harder, enemies are just bullet sponges.
Last edited by Sensor Echo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sensor Echo

Postby R.A.J » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:26 am

I am playing Sleeping Dogs. Quite a good game.
R.A.J

Postby Sensor Echo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Huh, the only person to mention interest in that game is also in S.E. Asia. RACISM.
Sensor Echo

Postby grim1500 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 pm

The Watcher wrote:Yup, Crash Course 2 requires Gold. Just renewed to find out. Been meaning to anyway. But damn it prap, we need to play some online once in awhile or i just wasted $50. You too Grim and Lily ):|

I haven't been on in a couple weeks since Kaylie came back. She's going back to her hometown to work for a couple weeks and then coming back here for a couple weeks, alternating during the summer to save up some money. She's leaving again soon, but summer classes start tomorrow, and, after looking over the syllabus for one of my classes, it looks like I'm gonna be super busy with homework.
Sup.

grim1500

Postby R.A.J » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 am

Sensor Echo wrote:Huh, the only person to mention interest in that game is also in S.E. Asia. RACISM.

Got it as a PS Plus member :P
R.A.J

Postby Sensor Echo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

...That makes it worse. Aren't a couple of others here PS+ subscribers? And they're just ignoring it?

My understanding is it's a bit like Shenmue or GTA in that it's an open world city, with lots of side quests and some violence. What else?

Edit: Chad, they have finally announced a TPS Halo (not) for you, Halo: Spartan Assault. Windows (Phone) 8 OS required. I wasn't planning on buying PC parts yet. :\ Maybe Aaron has Win8. It looks like they did well with making everything easy to comprehend from an overhead view, so props for that. I'm allowed to buy it later though, I only buy numbered titles day 1. ;)

They (royal) also announced Fable: Anniversary. "1080p" remaster of the original, with The Lost Chapters included. You already played through though, haven't you?
Sensor Echo

Postby The Watcher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Played through it recently and still haven't played 2 or 3 which i already bought. That makes it less appealing than if i had played it years ago.
The Watcher

Next

Return to Gaming